This Mr. Greenjeans cardi had been in my Ravelry queue for years so I finally decided to tackle it back in November. Between all the holiday-related distractions, deadlines, and a week in Duck, I just kept forgetting to post about it. BTW, the week in Duck was just what Santa ordered. We lucked out with the weather and only had one day of rain and another day when it was windy. The temps were in the 50s and low 60s for most of the week. It was almost 70 degrees on the 31st, so we spent the last day of 2011 reading on the beach.
Anyway, back to the cardi… I like the style of the cardi but decided I wanted a slightly longer length. I extended the torso section prior to the cables so that the button would fall closer to my waist rather than just under the bust. I took this picture before sewing on the button.
On the dress form, it doesn’t look so bad. The cardi just hangs over its curveless hips. On me, it’s not very flattering. I probably should have started the cabled ribbing under the bust as the pattern calls for. Since I lack the aforementioned bust, the cardi just kinda flops as if it’s begging to be filled out.
In its current state, I think it looks better when it’s unbuttoned. It’s far from perfect, but it’s really cozy and I love the color so it’ll get worn.
For the knitters: This project took me just under a month to knit. Other than the cables, there wasn’t anything complicated about this pattern. When I got to the ribbing, I opted not to go down a needle size since I can’t stand ribbing that’s too tight. Next time I make it, I’ll definitely begin the ribbing earlier.
The yarn I used was Berroco Ultra Alpaca (50% alpaca, 50% wool) in henna. I didn’t notice any splitting, shedding, or prickly fibers. I liked the yarn but after washing it, it seemed to grow making my already too long cardi even longer. The finished product does have a nice drape so I’d definitely use it again. I’ll just have to account for the growth factor.